Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fish Tacos - again!

It's been about a year since my first venture into fish tacos. I decided though, that it needed some updating, so I did a fish-and-chips type of thing, the "chips" being my previous post, carrot fries. Last time I used tilapia, but this time I used wild cod and I was able to find great thin filets, so I was able to cut it into small pieces, and it cooked in absolutely no time. FYI, I love yellow cornmeal.

Lime & Cornmeal Crusted Cod
-3 filets wild cod, cut into chunks/small pieces
-Zest of a lime
-Juice of a lime
-salt & pepper
-1 beaten egg
-Cornmeal
-Finely chopped fresh basil, parsley, & dill
-Canola oil, for frying

-Last time I dredged the fish in flour then egg then cornmeal. I left out the flour part for laziness but also to make them feel and taste lighter. Especially since I decided to (lightly) fry them instead of baking.
-Place the pieces of fish on a plate, sprinkle salt pepper, and the zest of half the lime. Sprinkle some of the juice of the lime, but save the bulk of the juice for the salsa
-I let the fish marinate for a few hours with the lime but you don't have to if short on time.
-Beat the egg in a large glass bowl, and pour cornmeal onto a big plate
-To the egg add: 1/4 of the remaining lime zest, salt and pepper
-To the cornmeal add: salt, pepper, garlic powder, and the chopped herbs (whichever you decide to use)
-Add all the fish to the egg and toss with a spoon.
-Heat a thin layer of canola oil in a large saute pan, and begin to dredge the fish pieces in the cornmeal mixture. I like to dredge them all before adding them to the pan because otherwise pieces will be done cooking by the time you add subsequent ones. Add the fish to the pan and it only needs 3-4 or so minutes per side. A little longer if it's thicker.

-Alternatively, you can bake them on a baking rack fitted over a baking sheet on 425 for 10/15 minutes.
-Transfer to a paper towel lined plate, and sprinkle with more lime juice

-Serve with all or some of the following: mango black bean salsa, coleslaw, tartar sauce, shredded lettuce hard or soft wheat or corn tortillas for building your own taco. There are endless options for toppings- salsa, guacamole, etc.

-Serve with a wedge of lime. [See last year's post for mango black bean salsa recipe. This time I took the easy route & only used black beans, avocado, and mango. The dressing is always fresh parsley, lime or lemon juice, salt & pepper. Important to let it sit in the fridge so the flavors meld].

The finished plate :


E

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, this is a really nice post about fish/seafood. It would be great if you linked to it in my Food on Friday series. This week it is about all things fishy and seafoody. Food on Friday

    ReplyDelete